Saturday, August 6, 2011

Should've had a Tom-Tom...

Knock Knock
.
..
...
Old Lady
.
..
...
Old lady who fell on the beach...

No, that isn't supposed to make sense, but someone legitimately told me that joke today, and I had promised a knock, knock joke today so there you go.

I had big plans for today's post, but, alas, I have forgotten...I really need to start writing down what I want to write down. Let me pause for a second while I gather my thoughts...

Ok, let's talk PTCAS (pronounced Pee-Tee-Cass, rhymes with meaty mass). PTCAS is the Physical Therapy Centralized Application System. What it basically does is have me only fill out one application, then it will send that one application to any school I tell it to...for a small (not so small?) fee, of course.The application is made up of several parts. I'll go through the details and struggles of each section. Sorry, if I bore you, but my life isn't always action-packed.

Applicant Information:
Ok, this is the only section I didn't struggle with. I'm really smart in the fact that I know my name, DOB, home address, and SSN. I think they should probably accept me on that fact alone. Also, I've never been convicted of a felony (cross my fingers), which is a question in this section. Oh there is one part of this section I thought was tricky...mailing address. Mail is so screwy here at Ferris during the summer that I didn't know where I wanted things sent and potentially getting lost. Figured it out though, all is well with the world.

Academic History
This part was just downright tedious and annoying. I had to open a window of my unofficial transcript (funny story about that later) and then open a window of the PTCAS form and input all of the classes and credits I have ever attained forever and everywhere. Let me tell you, this is a pain in a-word when you have over 100 credits. So I got about half done and then paused for another day. Well...now it's another day, and I am ready to do work. So I open PTCAS and go to open my transcript, but it won't. Somehow I have a financial hold. Ok, well I know I don't owe anyone money sooo...? A phone call and a lot of time with the financial aid office tells me that since my bill was posted and my financial aid doesn't kick in til September means that I technically owed the university about 9 grand. So after telling her my sob story about needing to fill out a graduate application, she said she will talk to her boss. Luckily, they made an exception for me (how nice of them) and lifted the hold, all is well with the world. Also, I didn't even get into GPA calculation. That deserves a blog post of its own...maybe tomorrow.

Additional Information
This part is killing me. Observation hours shouldn't be a big deal, but when you switch your major at the last minute, it's not like you just have all this experience in another field lying around. So I currently have about 30 hours and would like to get to 50 before the application closes, but we'll see what happens. Extracurricular activities are easy for me. I'm super involved, so I have a lot of stuff to put here. None of it is specifically related to PT, but hopefully they will see me as this lovely, well-rounded individual. Honors is the next section, which...I mean...I was IN honors for a few years. So I'll throw that in there. After honors is work experience and seeing as I have been working constantly since the ripe age of 14, this section wasn't really an issue either. Since I was recently certified in responding to emergencies, I was able to include that in this section too. So aside from observation hours, this section is pretty set. Hopefully I can get hooked up at the hospital, and soon, all will be well with the world.

References
I know I have some great people who are willing to write great letters of reference for me. A lot of schools look pretty heavily at these things, so I am excited to have some good ones. The problem I'm facing here is that nearly all schools require you to have a licensed physical therapist as one of your letters of reference. Well, again, I switched my major a little too late to have an abundance of licensed physical therapists that I am chummy with. But, I have been observing at a special education school (can't wait to write that blog) and the PT there is super nice. I am hoping that by next week I can ask her to write one and she will feel comfortable doing that. Otherwise, I don't know. All may not be well with the world here, we will see.

Essay
This is really the last part of the PTCAS application that I need to work on. The prompt:  
Which personal characteristics and motivating factors have led you to pursue the profession of physical therapy?
Well, I haven't really decided how I'm going to go about this one, but if you think you know some personal characteristics of mine that might have led towards my pursuit of the profession of PT, then, please, enlighten me! I've heard it is supposed to be about 500 words, so that will be a pretty quick essay if I can get an outline going soon

Certification and Authorization Statements
Easiest section. Easier than the personal information
Select "Yes" if you give PTCAS permission to release selected information regarding your PTCAS application and admission status to the health professions advisor and the health professions advisory committee of the post-secondary institution(s) that you have attended. By releasing your information, your advisor is better able to assist you in the admissions process, as well as better guide other students in the future. You cannot make changes to this item after you submit your application to PTCAS.
and

I certify, as required in the application, that I have read and understand all application instructions, including the provisions which note that I am responsible for monitoring and ensuring the progress of my application.

I certify that I have read and will abide by all program-specific instructions for my designated physical therapist programs.

I certify that all the information and statements I have provided in this application are current, correct, and complete to the best of my knowledge.

I certify that my personal essay and the information on my application represent my own work.

I understand that withholding information requested on the PTCAS application, or giving false information, may be grounds for denial of admission to a PT program participating in PTCAS or may be grounds for expulsion from the institution after I have been admitted.

I give permission to PTCAS to release any information related to my PTCAS application to my designated PT programs and authorize the use of such information for research and statistical reports as described in the PTCAS privacy policy.

I acknowledge and agree that my sole remedy in the event of any proven errors or omissions related to the handling or processing of my application by PTCAS is to obtain a refund of my PTCAS application fee.

 

Your certification of this statement serves the same purpose as a legal signature, and is binding.

Ok, fine. So I'm now legally bound to all the above. Yippe and wham, bam, thank you ma'am

PT Program Designations
The final section before the submit button. My first choice is CMU, but I'm super insecure about my GPA, so I found some out-of-state colleges that have low GPA requirements. Those are purely for back up. This is the list of programs I plan on applying to:


AT Still University of Health Sciences AZ
Central Michigan University MI
Chatham University PA
Drexel PA
Franklin Pierce University
NH
     Concord CampusNH
Hampton University VA
Oakland University MI
Touro College
NY
     Bay Shore (Long Island)NY
University of Maryland - Eastern Shore MD
Wayne State University MI 













































































































2 comments:

  1. Hey Ted, love reading your blog. I noticed that you wanted to apply to a grad school in AZ. I should warn you that AZ kind of sucks and it's really a long way from Michigan. However, if it is in Northern AZ you may not have the hot, dry weather that Yuma has. Also, you won't have to worry too much about illegal aliens and police check points. Keep going and I'm sure you'll be great at whatever it is you decide to do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Courtney! The one in AZ is probably my last choice as far as that goes, but we will see what happens!

    ReplyDelete